Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Must Love Dogs

Anybody who knows me well, knows that I am not an animal lover. I don't hate or abuse animals or anything, but I really do not like any types of animals- even dogs. I don't get all excited over baby kittens or puppies, and I absolutely hate visiting pet stores. I'm not afraid of them, but I think they are gross. I'm not sure exactly why this is, but I can think of one traumatic experience I had as a child that may have contributed...

I guess I was probably 11 years old. We were visiting some of my step-dad's family at their house, when their large dog came up to me and put her head in my lap. Just as I was lowering my hand to pet Ginger's head, she threw up the contents of her recently ingested lunch right into my lap. It was horrifying and I still cringe every time I think of it. I can still remember the smell, too. Blech!

Believe it or not I have two dogs- a 60lb mut that belonged to my husband before we met, and a yappy chihuahua that we acquired together in December of 2004 (a regretful momentary lapse in judgment).

They drive me crazy on a daily basis.

The worst part is that they only serve to reaffirm my belief that animals (even pet dogs) are gross. The big one (Buddy) smells really bad, even after he is bathed. And the older he gets, the worse he smells. When I was suffering from morning sickness a few months ago, his stench almost killed me on a daily basis. The little annoying one (Peanut) eats Buddy's poop. And not the old dried up stuff either...he waits for the fresh ones. Then he comes into the house and either burps in my face or throws it up on my carpets. We've tried all the little remedies that the vets suggest. But seriously, if he eats poop, do you really think putting something in the food that "tastes bad" is going to deter him?! He eats POOP!!! Could anything really taste worse?!?!

And it never fails that anytime I am gazing out my back window on a beautiful day, watching the horses graze the surrounding farms and appreciating all the bright green grass, Buddy runs right into my view and crouches to take a dump right in front of me.

So forgive me if you are an animal lover and appreciate seeing people post adorable pictures of their pets on their blogs- it's not going to happen here. :)

4 comments:

Karin said...

LOL! First of all the picture that you've posted of them is way funny. I also had a rough time dealing with Chief when I was still in the "sick" stage of this pregnancy and to make matters worse, Brian kept giving him these disgusting pig ears that were covered in some sort of beefy smelling crap that just about made me want to die.

I think I'm more of a cat person because they clean themselves and don't require the constant attention that dogs do. Brian always scolds me for pushing Chief away, "Have you pet him today AT ALL?!?" Hey! sometimes I don't want to pet him! He's your dog! lol. Not going to lie, I am a huge sucker for baby animals though.

Kristine said...

That pictures cracks me up!!

They can come to my house and I will dress them up!! :)

The Cronin Family said...

Dude I just ate my breakfast and then I read all this eating poop talk. Sick. I may have to barf now! Really, why does he have to eat the fresh ones?????

Krysta and Jan-Michael said...

hahahahaha I love your honesty!!! I'm not really an animal person either.... but I wouldn't mind a cute little dog with long hair =p If it ate poop though, I'd have to find it a new home! GROSS!!