Sunday, February 7, 2010

Chickens

I've been meaning to mention it on here for a while now, but don't think I have...

We have chickens now! At the beginning of November my husband brought home 3 baby chicks. We named them Marshmallow, Chocolate, and Graham!


Then about three weeks later, we bought 2 more baby chicks. We didn't name them. We got so much flack from other people about naming animals that could become food one day, that we just didn't name the new ones.


Our goal for having the chickens is not to eat them, though. We want to have fresh eggs to eat from home. If one of the chickens turns out to be male, though, we may eat him because we certainly don't want a rooster crowing around here with our little babies.

Boy do chickens grow fast, because you should see them now...



Now that they are almost full-grown, we have been letting them out of their coop to free-range around our yard during the days. We have a lot of hawks around here and we didn't want them to get picked up when they were small. There is still a chance that a hawk might try to grab one of them, but so far they've been safe.

It is so much fun to watch them just pecking around our yard! They are pretty easy to care for. Raf built a coop for them out of some scrap materials. We give them water and fresh food at least once per day, and have recently started giving them kitchen scraps as well.

We have read that hens usually start laying eggs at about 6 months old, so we are hoping to start seeing some eggs in their boxes sometime around Easter. That will be so much fun!

3 comments:

Karin said...

Haha! You guys are my little farmer friends! I love it. Brian always had farm animals growing up - even a cow! That's next on your list. I just decided for you :)

Kristine said...

I like the idea of having fresh eggs but I can't see you wringing the chickens neck for some homemade chicken noodle soup!! :)

Do you still have your garden?

Krysta and Jan-Michael said...

Great idea! So, do you think you're saving lots of money? I would guess so. We had chickens when I was in high school. I think they're adorable when they're little chicks =)